Tuesday, May 19, 2009

'Boy' she said courteously 'why are you crying?'

I must say, Peter Pan is a definite classic.


While I spent my time as a young naive child I never approached this story until sadly I was first introduced to it via the 2003 movie. The movie wasn't that bad, but I confess that nothing measures up to the pure magic written by J.M Barrie. The Disney cartoon version isn't that bad either, but I digress.




And I quote:




'If you shut your eyes and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colours suspended in the darkness; then if you squeeze your eyes tighter, the pool begins to take shape, and the colours become so vivid that with another squeeze they must go on fire. But just before they go on fire you see the lagoon.'




Full of imagination. This book makes me want to time-travel back to when I was 8 or so and just fly away to the Neverland with the Mermaid Lagoon and the Redskins and the Lost Boys and of course Hook. One thing I also noticed about reading this book is that when you're older it's harder to let go of the fact that Wendy, Michael and John are away from home for so long. When I was little, it was often the case that all my attention was fixed on the situation happening, whereas now I seem to dwell more on what has previously happened and the circumstances of (in the case) the children's actions.


After that deep dwelling into my reading styles I feel exhausted.

BYE

No comments:

Post a Comment